Re: Moving data from DB2 to Oracle with Row Num

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:39:08 GMT

Carole Kaufman wrote:

> We have an application which uses Row Nums. We've been unsuccessful
> at moving the data from DB2/OS390 and loading the data into Oracle 9i
> via SQL Loader, but we can't get it to load into Oracle with row num
> recognition. As a result, the application begins building data again
> at 1 rather than the appropriate row num number.
>
> How can we move the data from DB2/OS390 over to Oracle with row nums?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carole

The problem pretty much starts and stops with the fact that you invested minimal, if any, time learning about Oracle.

Lesson 1: Oracle is not DB2, or SQL Server, or Informix, or Sybase, with a different company's name on the CD.

Rownum has no meaning in Oracle related to the meaning you are trying to attach to it. Its only relevance is the numerical order of rows returned by a query. Change the data, change the query, change an index, whatever and different rows get different numbers.

I would urge you to stop working immediately and to learn something about Oracle before you proceed. If you have managed to get this far without understanding rownum then likely phrases like "multi-versioning" are new to you too and you may well be on the way to corrupting your data.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 10:39:08 CDT