Re: NT hot backup

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:03:49 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:e7410c46.0208170817.7f3b58d1_at_posting.google.com...
> You said you wouldn't risk the chance of corrupting a backup by using
> anything other than OCOPY, yet you are prepared to do precisely that
> by compressing things! I wouldn't compress an archive if my life
> depended on it.

[ bunch of stuff snipped]
> >Why
> > should I use if 10g of space for backups when 1g will do?
>
> Because you (presumably) don't want to risk your data.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I disagree with your mistrust of compressing backup data. I've been using compressed backups for nearly 20 years and never had a problem recovering from one whether it be Oracle or something else. Are you aware that all modern tape drives use data compression automatically? If I were to accept your reasoning for not compressing backups I'd have to stop backing up to tape.

--
Chuck "gzip" Hamilton