Re: NT hot backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 17 Aug 2002 09:17:15 -0700

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:<ajjd8o$1chsqa$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de>...
> If you do a search on Metalink for OCOPY you will come across documents
> explicitly stating that copy and xcopy are not safe for copying open files.
> That is why they provided the OCOPY utility. Perhaps copy and xcopy work
> just fine all or most of the time. I personally would not take the chance of
> corrupting a backup when Oracle has stated not to use them for hot backups.

You might note that document 139327.1 is referring to NT backups, and not Windows 2000, which is a different kettle of fish altogether, and the O/S I rather thought you were using. But whatever makes you feel safe.

> The compress utility I was talking about is the one that ships with the
> winnt, win2k, and presumable winxp (though I have never seen XP) resource
> kit. It's called compress.exe. It ships with a counterpart called
> expand.exe.
>
> I was not aware of the "compress contents" directory attribute on Win2k as
> we only recently started using it. I don't think I'd chance using it on
> directories that hold datafiles but can you tell me if it's safe for
> archived logs? I can't see why it wouldn't be. I will look into setting that
> attribute for directories that hold only archived logs, export files, and
> backup copies of datafiles. Thanks for the tip.

You said you wouldn't risk the chance of corrupting a backup by using anything other than OCOPY, yet you are prepared to do precisely that by compressing things! I wouldn't compress an archive if my life depended on it.

> As to the "death wish" comment regarding compressed backups, pretty much
> every Oracle DBA I know that works in UNIX uses compression utilities like
> gzip or compress to compress both archived logs and tar'ed backups of
> databases.

That doesn't make it wise, or good practice. Have you ever removed one bit from (say) a winzip file and seen what happens when you try and uncompress?

>I compress all of my export files too and have never had a
> problem.

Export isn't a backup, so that's less of a concern.

>There's no reason not to. They compress the files to anywhere from
> 1/4th to 1/10th of there original size and are completely reliable.

"Completely"?? I don't think so. Put it this way: they are as reliable as NOT using OCOPY. :-)

>Why
> should I use if 10g of space for backups when 1g will do?

Because you (presumably) don't want to risk your data.

Regards
HJR
(Who apologises for posting via Google, but my news server seems not to be working of late).