Re: Monitoring parallelism

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:52:20 +0200

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Queries are parallelized when you tell Oracle to parallelize them ...
>
>example:
>Select /*+ ordered PARALLEL(tab1 4) FULL(tab1) */
>from tab1, tab2
>where tab1.col1 = tab2.col1
>/
>
>Or you specify the degree of parallelism on the table level:
>create table tab1 .....
>parallel 4
>/
>
>or you can rebuild index in parallel ...
>
>there are other various instances ....
>
>Before you do anything, please get your "parallel" fundamentals right by referring to a
>good perf tuning book .. or refer to the perf tuning documentation by oracle.
>Otherwise, you might do more harm to the system .. than good.

I was trying to clear exaxtly that point while I was reading the documentation... I was not sure, but as I understood, it is enough to switch on parallelism in the init.ora file.

What you are saying is that this is not enough. So I should, for example, change the degree of paralellism of the tables *additionally*. Right? Please confirm!

(By the way, I also understood that changing the degree of parallelism alone would be enough too - it seems that i misunderstood everything!).

Thanks a lot
Rick Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 14:52:20 CDT