Re: Monitoring parallelism

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:54:24 -0400

If were expecting your queries to automatically start running in parallel then I don't think that is true.
Though things change from version to version. The parameters that you are talking about "parallel_max_servers"
are there to "enable" parallelism. That statement however does not mean that things will automatically
start running in parallel. Thus if you set parallel_max_servers = 0, you would probably be not able to use
the PQO.
Though I did state that if you put the specify parallel clause in the create table / alter table statement .. then
you would be able to use parallelism. I however would not recommend this. Be aware that if you set this
clause at the table level, Oracle will start doing parallel full table scans much more than using indexes, which
you might or *might not* want.
You should according to me use this feature by providing hints (for parallel) in your queries, if you think that
the query will benefit from it. Which is the reason why I recommended reading up a perf tuning manual.

***
Try Hi Performance SQL ... book by Harrison for a start. I'm sure Tom Kyte must have provided some examples in his book and website (asktom.oracle.com .. search parallel) about using Parallel Query. Also, look at this link: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ind_pqo.html Jonathan has written a nice piece about PQ. ***

Anurag