Re: Cloning DB to different UNIX platform

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2002 11:11:21 -0700

In article <mvkvlucpjj0bkraa1illdsh8rdfb9b2u4o_at_4ax.com>, Rick says...

>Hello
>
>Can I just move the DB files from Solaris (SPARC CPU) to Linux (Intel
>CPU) and recreate the control file in order to clone the DB? Since
>both are UNIX like operating systems, but otherwise totally different
>platforms, I am wondering if this would work before trying.

No, this won't work. Don't bother trying.

>Of course, I also could go through export/import, but this is not
>adequate to "copy" a complete DB, and it is prone to errors.

This is the easiest way to move from one platform to another. I don't know why you say it's not adequate and is prone to errors, though. It's the way that we've used to move databases from one platform to another for years. Can you clarify what problems you see here?

Pete

>Bye
>Rick

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 13:11:21 CDT