Re: Cloning DB to different UNIX platform

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:57:57 +0200

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:

>No, this won't work. Don't bother trying.

OK, thanks for the clear answer.

>>Of course, I also could go through export/import, but this is not
>>adequate to "copy" a complete DB, and it is prone to errors.
>
>This is the easiest way to move from one platform to another. I don't know why
>you say it's not adequate and is prone to errors, though. It's the way that
>we've used to move databases from one platform to another for years. Can you
>clarify what problems you see here?

The full export can only be done as SYS. Importing such a dump file in one step would render everything in the SYSTEM Tablespace - bad. Doing import one schema at a time would avoid this problem, but requires more work, since users, profiles, privileges and roles should be created beforehand - prone to errors.

Even doing the export with the appropriate option, statistics must be generated in an additional step after the import. Besides, export/import gives you at times some headaches with character sets, index names, constraints, triggers...

Well, it CAN be done, but, as I said, prone to errors.

Bye
Rick Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 13:57:57 CDT