Instance shutdown problem

From: juha <salmjuh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2002 01:19:20 -0700

Hi all

I am new with oracle so please excuse me my stupid question.

I'm running oracle server 8.0.4 on windows NT server. I would like to take could backups from the databases. So, to perform this job I need to shutdown the instance. But when I choose shutdown from the GUI the oracle instance manager give a warning:

" A stored configuration does not exist. Once shut down, you will be unable to start the remote database unless you have a local copy of the initialazion parameter file.

Use Instance Manager to create a stored configuration or obtain a local copy of the initialization parameter file for the remote database"

Say what ???

What that means ? If I shutdown the instance I can't openit any more ??

What should I do ?

Juha

p.s. I have to servers and maybe, just maybe, there is some kind replication process between the machines. I do not know. Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 03:19:20 CDT