Re: Instance shutdown problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:52:43 +1000

"juha" <salmjuh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c9858ca5.0207300019.3f565319_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all
>

> I am new with oracle so please excuse me my stupid question.
>

> I'm running oracle server 8.0.4 on windows NT server. I would like to
> take could backups from the databases. So, to perform this job I need
> to shutdown the instance. But when I choose shutdown from the GUI the
> oracle instance manager give a warning:
>
> " A stored configuration does not exist. Once shut down, you will be
> unable to start the remote database unless you have a local copy of
> the initialazion parameter file.
>
> Use Instance Manager to create a stored configuration or obtain a
> local copy of the initialization parameter file for the remote
> database"
>

> Say what ???
>

> What that means ? If I shutdown the instance I can't openit any more
> ??

You are using a GUI client to issue startup and shutdown instructions to a remote database. Shutdowns are fine... not a problem. But if a remote client tool is supposed to subsequently startup the Instance, it needs to have a copy of the init.ora available to it. Otherwise, how's it supposed to know how big the Shared Pool should be, the number of buffers you want, and so on?

The problem disappears if you forego the GUI and get stuck in with a command line tool (SQL Plus) on the server itself... since that's where the init.ora lives, a startup command issued on the server won't have a problem describing *how* the instance should be started.

The problem also disappears if you do what the error message said to do: use Instance Manager to create a copy of the init.ora on your remote client, so that it too won't have a problem describing how to startup the Instance.

> What should I do ?

I tend to find that actually reading the error messages and carrying out any actions it recommends usually fixes most problems. In this case, the error message you got couldn't have been more helpful if it had tried:

"Use Instance Manager to create a stored configuration [ie, a copy of the init.ora stored on the client] or obtain a local copy of the initialization parameter file for the remote database"

Regards
HJR

> Juha
>
> p.s. I have to servers and maybe, just maybe, there is some kind
> replication process between the machines. I do not know.

Irrelevant to your problem. Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 03:52:43 CDT