Re: Connecting to database takes 5 seconds

From: Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:36:30 +0200

jeff_at_work.com (Jeff) wrote in news:ahos4v$8a2$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu:

> Perhaps it is just a configuration problem with Net8. On the client
> machines, look in sqlnet.ora for the names.directory_path and,
> assuming you're NOT using Oracle Names for service resolution (if you
> are, then that's probably where the problem is), make sure it's set
> to (TNSNAMES). If it has (ONAMES, TNSNAMES), or something other than
> just tnsnames, then it's probably failing to resolve the service name,
> hence the delay, until it gets around to trying tnsnames.

My sqlnet.ora contains only two lines:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) so Oracle Names isn't being used.

> Also, use NT's "search for files" to verify that you've only got one G
> sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora on the client machine. Remove extras to
> prevent confusion and possible conflicts. I think the files are
> supposed to be in the (ora_home)\network\admin directory.

There's an additional SQLNET.ORA in network\admin\SAMPLE but all its lines are commented out. Same thing for tnsnames.ora.

Thanks a lot for your help anyway. Any other ideas?

Regards
W. Roesler Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 10:36:30 CDT