Parallel DDL and space use

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 25 Jul 2002 16:33:09 +0100 (BST)

This is probably documented *somewhere*, but I couldn't see it in the Concepts manual (9iR2)...

Be wary of parallel DDL - it seems each parallel execution server needs its own extent to work in, which can lead to a lot of space being wasted.

I did a alter table move tablespace parallel using whatever Oracle decided to be default (32 CPUs, parallel_max_servers=128), afterwards I had a table with 64 extents.

Retrying the move with "parallel 4", space use was down to a much more reasonable 20 extents.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/