Re: Connecting to database takes 5 seconds

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:49:35 GMT

In article <Xns92559D7FA2564wrgrpde_at_62.153.159.134>, Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de> wrote:

>It takes five to eight seconds to connect to the database from the
>workstation! All init.ora parameters are set to LARGE or larger,

Perhaps it is just a configuration problem with Net8. On the client machines, look in sqlnet.ora for the names.directory_path and, assuming you're NOT using Oracle Names for service resolution (if you are, then that's probably where the problem is), make sure it's set to (TNSNAMES). If it has (ONAMES, TNSNAMES), or something other than just tnsnames, then it's probably failing to resolve the service name, hence the delay, until it gets around to trying tnsnames.

Also, use NT's "search for files" to verify that you've only got one sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora on the client machine. Remove extras to prevent confusion and possible conflicts. I think the files are supposed to be in the (ora_home)\network\admin directory. Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 07:49:35 CDT