Re: A way to get the system tablespace into smaller files?

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:01:48 GMT

On 25 Jul 2002 04:34:08 -0700, jonwaterhouse_at_mail.gov.nf.ca (Jon Waterhouse) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm running 9i on NT and want to be able to do backups on CD-RW. I
>have been careful to add files to the USERS tablespace that are less
>than the size of a
>disk, but the SYSTEM tablespace started off in a 750MB file, of which
>only 300 is currently used. I thought maybe I could Reorganize and
>then make the file smaller, but after the whole painful process of
>setting up and configuring the oracle management server I finally got
>to the message "Oracle does not support the reorganization of the
>system tablespace". Well, I suppose I asked for it, it's probably
>written in the manual somewhere <g>.
>In the short run I'll probably ZIP the file first, but is there a
>long-run solution that's not too painful?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jon

Hi Jon,

Within Oracle, there is the possibility of of creating a new, empty database with system tablespace consisting of several, smaller files, export the old one and import it into the new one.

Bbesides, there are plenty of O/S utilities,both freeware and commercial, which allow you to split a single file into smaller pieces.