Re: Does a db upgrade change the SQL parser ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 07:24:01 +1000

It doesn't help you this time round, I'm afraid, but now that you are on 8i, you should consider investigating Stored Outlines. These are 'frozen execution plans'... they're pretty much set in stone, and one of their claims to fame is that they ensure execution plans don't change when you upgrade or change O/S or apply patches or re-calculate statistics. So if they're in place by the time you eventually upgrade to 9i, you won't experience the same problems you did this upgrade round.

'Course.... one has also to question the wisdom of setting in stone a sub-optimal execution plan that new optimizer features could improve upon if only it were allowed to.

But horses for courses.

Regards