Re: A tablespace with 400,000 free extents

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:13:24 +0100

Vsevolod Afanassiev wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks
>
> But the DROP TABLESPACE command will be as slow as
> ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE.
>
> My problem is to find a way to get rid of this tablespace
> in a reasonable amount of time. I had a table in this
> tablespace, it has 80,000 extents. I dropped it - the
> DROP TABLE took 16 hours to run. From this, my estimate
> for DROP TABLESPACE (or ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE) is 80 hours.
>
> Another question is why ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE stops
> IMP from plugging in tablespaces?
>
> Regards,
> Sev

WIth a similar problem once (and with the blesssing of Oracle support) the solution ended up containing a direct delete from fet$ (I'm obviously leaving out much of the detail here).

So - such a hack *is* possible - but I *stress* (repeat stress, repeat stress), you want to be speaking to support to get their blessing and guidance before straying into this kind of last-resort territory.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald