Re: Does a db upgrade change the SQL parser ?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:21:28 +0400

> Back to changes of parsing, is there something that could/should be done
> about it ?
> Can a dba change it with init parameters,
> or is it fixed inside the Oracle Rdbms Software ?

Generally, you shouldn't bother as newer versions of the CBO supposed to do better job (and usually they do), so changes in plans may be for gain. But if they are not, you can hint queries that performed better with different plans to those plans, or, if you can't change the SQL, create stored outlines with needed plans and force them on these misbehaving queries. Having all statistics collected and keeping them current are also very helpful to CBO. Applying latest patchset usually doesn't hurt either.