Re: RAC on Linux Cluster?

From: Norbert Vossiek <skipthis.norbert.vossiek_at_gmx.li>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:16:45 +0200

Q on raw devices:

HW: 4 no-name nodes 2-way XEON 1.8/4GB, Qlogic 2200, Infortrend IDE-to-FC RAID OS: SLE 7.3. I see one big /dev/sda. Could be partitioned & mounted, works fine & fast.

Now my question: how do I set up the raw devices? There was a DOAG mag article saying I have to use mknod and raw?

TIA, Norbert

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ah488l0250l_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <3d3519c1$1_at_usenetgateway.com>, chao_ping says...
> >
> >hi, dbas: We plan to setup a new database on a Linux Cluster, using
> >Oracle 9i RAC release 2, with Dell PC Servers (4CPU, 4G memory), to
> >store our online history data and provide read only service and some
> >other misc applications. So, what i care is:
> >1. Which Oracle version to use, release 1 or release 2. Release 1 is
> > certified on many platforms with proper hardware and os, but
> > release 2 is relatively new. But since oracle supports new version
> > and there is maybe less bugs , i prefer release 2 version . Can you
> > share your opnion?
>
> I would suggest 9iR2, for two reasons:
>
> 1. It saves later downtime when you do decide to upgrade from Release 1.
> 2. There are some nice things like (I think) dynamic lock remastering
that were
> supposed to be in R1 but didn't make it.
>
> >2. Which OS to choose. Suse and Redhat is the oracle prefered
> > version. For RAC/OPS support , is suse better than redhat? Or if i
> > choose redhat, shall i choose the redhat 7.1(the certified version
> > with rac release 1 on Dell machine) or Redhat Advanced Server, or
> > redhat 7.2/7.3?
>
> If you have a certified config, like the Dell/RH combination, it's
certainly
> easier for setup since that's already done as part of the certified
config.
> Longer term I think RH Advanced Server is my personal preference.
>
> >3. Has anyone here used RAC in production? Especially on Linux/RAC
> > combination? what about your experience? Please share your valuable
> > experience here:), thanks.
> >

> Yep. Been at a number of clients that have done it. As for the Linux /
RAC
> combination, from memory the German police are on a 5 node Linux cluster
(or
> maybe it's the Austrian police). ANyway, there are some referenceable
customers
> listed on http://www.oracle.com that might help your confidence levels.
:)