Re: RAC on Linux Cluster?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 10:07:33 -0700

In article <3d3519c1$1_at_usenetgateway.com>, chao_ping says...

>hi, dbas: We plan to setup a new database on a Linux Cluster, using
>Oracle 9i RAC release 2, with Dell PC Servers (4CPU, 4G memory), to
>store our online history data and provide read only service and some
>other misc applications. So, what i care is:
>1. Which Oracle version to use, release 1 or release 2. Release 1 is
> certified on many platforms with proper hardware and os, but
> release 2 is relatively new. But since oracle supports new version
> and there is maybe less bugs , i prefer release 2 version . Can you
> share your opnion?

I would suggest 9iR2, for two reasons:

  1. It saves later downtime when you do decide to upgrade from Release 1.
  2. There are some nice things like (I think) dynamic lock remastering that were supposed to be in R1 but didn't make it.

>2. Which OS to choose. Suse and Redhat is the oracle prefered
> version. For RAC/OPS support , is suse better than redhat? Or if i
> choose redhat, shall i choose the redhat 7.1(the certified version
> with rac release 1 on Dell machine) or Redhat Advanced Server, or
> redhat 7.2/7.3?

If you have a certified config, like the Dell/RH combination, it's certainly easier for setup since that's already done as part of the certified config. Longer term I think RH Advanced Server is my personal preference.

>3. Has anyone here used RAC in production? Especially on Linux/RAC
> combination? what about your experience? Please share your valuable
> experience here:), thanks.

Yep. Been at a number of clients that have done it. As for the Linux / RAC combination, from memory the German police are on a 5 node Linux cluster (or maybe it's the Austrian police). ANyway, there are some referenceable customers listed on http://www.oracle.com that might help your confidence levels. :)

>--
>an oracle fan,
>an oracle beginner

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 12:07:33 CDT