Re: URGENT: Importing an Oracle 9i export file into Oracle 8.1.7

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:42:44 +0100

"nettdata" <nettdata_at_noSpAM_nettdata.com> wrote in message news:3D358374.20405_at_noSpAM_nettdata.com...
> Check out http://www.kiyoinc.com/nxtract.html for one of many such
> utilities.
>
> Never say "none at all". ;)

Now why on earth would one do that. Connect with 8i exp and do an export and you have a perfectly valid dump to move to an 8i db. The utility you link to doesn't support all oracle datatypes, has length restrictions on others and may barf on characters such as CR/LF that it finds in character fields.

I also object to the marketing which suggests that you can't transfer data from oracle to other data storage programs, this is just so wrong as to make me worry about the competence of the supplier.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA