Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:46:20 +1000

This one is too easy.

There are two alternatives.

Ask them how many extents a rollback segment should have. If they answer "20", they're OCP. If they answer "what's a rollback segment", it's a good chance they're a 9i OCP. If they answer "Have you considered the pro's and con's of automatic undo management where this is not an issue", they're not OCP, but they might be a little too in love with marketing for comfort. If they answer "6, and I'll point you to the page on Steve Adams' website where he demonstrates why this is appropriate", they're definitely not OCP, and I'd hire them on the spot.

The other is just as easy: ask them what an appropriate block size might be for a new database you plan to create. If they answer "is this a data warehouse or an OLTP database?", they're OCP. If they answer "What operating system", they're not, and I'd nearly hire them on the spot. To warrant truly instant hiring, they'd have to append "and are you using raw?"

Regards
HJR (And no, I'm sorry I don't know the real answer to your question, but my first port of call would be to ring someone at Oracle Univeristy).