Re: Clone/Migration database from Sun Solaris to AIX

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 21:57:45 -0700

vwu_at_anacomp.com (Vance Wu) wrote in message news:<c3d4638a.0207091349.3eaaf646_at_posting.google.com>...
> My current production database is running on Sun Solaris, I try to
> duplicate the production database onto AIX platform.
>
> Is there a easy way to clone a database from Sun (Solaris 2.6) to AIX
> (4.3) without creating new database on AIX and exp/imp the data,
> assuming Oracle installed is same version (EE 8.1.7) in both OS
> platforms.

The easiest way is to take existing datafiles and recreate the control files. *BUT* since you are changing platforms...That is out of the question. Anything other then Exp/Imp (In my opinion) would amount to using a hammer to do a screw driver's job.

> Because the script we have for re-creating the database may not match
> the current production database schema, from time to time more objects
> have been added to the production database, even-though the script was
> updated but never been tested, I'm afraid they are not identical.

This should be left to your best judgment. -:)

> If re-creating the database is unavoidable, then any utility or Oracle
> provided script that I can find to help capture the schema from an
> existing database.

Your best and perhaps the easiest bet is to do a FULL Export and Import.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Vance.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 23:57:45 CDT