Profile of of a DBA - part System Admn / Part Network Admin / Part Web Admin

From: Ora <ora_geek_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 02:49:57 -0700

We had discussion about the profile of a DBA in our Oraganisation.

Today's DBA has to perform many roles and is expected to expand beyond Database only Focus .

He has to have expertise in atlease one Operating System . He should also be fairly conversant with Networking Technologies. Additionally Web skills like Web Server , Proxy and Mail server Administration knowledge is definite plus.

The requirement is the DBA is expected to give first level trouble shooting support in all related fields.

We tried to arrive at Profile of a DBA who is also a part System Admin , part Network Admin and part Web Admin. We have given some percentages to skills .

100 % Database Administration
 PLUS
70 % System Administration for any OS (Win2k / Solaris / Linux)  PLUS
60 % Network Adminstration (LAN / WAN Technologies)  PLUS
50 % Web Skills like Web Server / Proxy Server / Mail Server Administration

Hope this is a fairly accurate assesment. This forum may share their own estimate & experiences.

About the Language skill a DBA should know , apart from procedural SQL like Oracle's PL/SQL , the consensus is he should be in the know of XML too. Is this the correct picture ? Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 04:49:57 CDT