Re: Profile of of a DBA - part System Admn / Part Network Admin / Part Web Admin

From: George Barbour <gbarbour_at_csc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:41:47 +0100

I would like to ask what are the profiles of the manager of the DBA? What does the DBA's manager require in terms of :

    'Management skills' - whatever they are?
    'Technical ability'
    'Oracle knowledge'
    'Business knowledge'
    'Project knowledge'
    'People skills'  - again what ever they are?
    'etc....'

If you require an Oracle database for your business then you require a DBA. You could buy a ready made DBA from another company, or, you can make one yourselves.
If you are going to make one yourselves, then find somebody who knows how to learn and solve problems with enthusiasm, e.g. a graduate with one or two university degrees to their name.
Give them a budget for training etc, give them the problem as you see it e.g. 'Please be prepared to manage and administer our business critical system' and then' get out of there way and let them do their job.

To try and define a DBA down to individual work objects is nonsensical.

George Barbour.