Re: Datawarehouse with Oracle

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 21:51:09 +0100

"Michael Austin" <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote in message news:3D234FAC.D2407F8F_at_firstdbasource.com...
> Krist wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > If we want to implement Datawarehouse and OLAP with Oracle, besides
> > Oracle RDBMS Server, what are other Oracle products that I need to
> > purchase ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the info,
> > Krist
>
> If you want it to be functional:
>
> (
> 1) a consultant
> or
> 2) LOT's of Oracle training.
> )
> AND
> ETL tool (OWB, Informatica)
> AND
> Query tool (O-Discover, Business Objects, Crystal Reports )
> AND
> Monitoring tool (OEM, Patrol - alot to choose from in this
> category)
> AND
> Lot's of memory and disk space. which could mean a bigger system
> and more license fees.
>
> and that's just for starters
> --
> Regards,
>
> Michael Austin OpenVMS User since June 1984
> First DBA Source, Inc. Registered Linux User #261163
> Sr. Consultant http://www.firstdbasource.com
>
> http://www.firstdbasource.com/donation.html
> 704-947-1089 (Office) 704-236-4377 (Mobile)

Ok, colleagues; this is a genuine request, not an attempt to start a flame war.
Does anyone have experience of OWB vs. Informatica? Or white papers or independent comparisons?
The warehouse is likely to be built on an Oracle 8173 or 9201 database; and reported on using Business Objects. We have comprehensive skills available in these areas, but no previous in-house experience of either ETL tool.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 15:51:09 CDT