Re: backup and recovery procedures / resetlog

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:39:09 +0100

"Bruno Jargot" <see_at_reply.to.invalid> wrote in message news:j6u3iug99ovph04iapmhrtd0fbv994c61u_at_4ax.com...
> I'm currently writing procedures for the backup and recovery of
> databases.
>
> I read carefully the excellent paper of Howard J. Rogers but I've some
> questions.
>
> 1- Before doing a incomplete recovery, Howard strongly recommends a
> backup in order to be able to redo the recovery if necessary.
>
> I don't understand why I could not redo the recovery.
>
> I've a backup control file (trace) with each backup. If I want to redo
> the recovery, I should be able to use the backup control file and play
> again each archivelog until the resetlog. No ?
> If I do a backup of only the redolog files before the resetlog, I
> should have no loss. No ?
>
> If I don't backup the Control Files before the resetlogs, what are the
> consequence for a incomplete recovery (except the need of using the
> backup controlfiles) ?
>
> 2- After a resetlog, Howard recommends to do a *cold* backup. A hot
> backup is not sufficient ? Why ?

IMHO, there are human issues involved here, as well as technical ones.

I'm not going to argue the technical points; Sean and Howard can cover these far better than I.
But when we are under pressure is when we make mistakes. Given time, I would always try for an extra backup before attempting recovery, and after having performed the recovery, I'd always go for yet another backup if I could.

In this situation the management *want* caution; they will likely be very happy if I can repair the damage; not so if I lose their data.

Just my 2c.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 16:39:09 CDT