Re: venting my spleen

From: Tom Barnes <barnest_at_san.rr.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2002 14:34:14 -0700

Tom Hoffmann <tom.hoffmann_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.06.30.19.11.18.805672.1851_at_worldnet.att.net>...

> While I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, my experience as an SA (and
> part-time DBA) over the past 12 years is that developers are notorious
> for wanting to blame all their problems on either the OS or the DBMS ...
> particularly when performance is involved ... when they did not engage
> the expertise of either individuals when they were designing their
> programs.

So why don't you help them *while they are designing their programs* ?

> I keep telling them that performance can not be added after the
> fact ... it has to be designed in.

So why don't you help them design for performance so it doesn't have to be added in?

Help the developers, talk to them, even write a few lines of code yourself. I don't think your bitter attitude towards developers is very helpful, neither is the developers' attitude towards you. But all your problems can be fixed with better communications. Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 16:34:14 CDT