Re: Oracle Home Problem

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2002 22:51:58 -0700

yitbsal_at_yahoo.com (Salaam Yitbarek) wrote in message news:<77439c33.0206281237.6c2b6805_at_posting.google.com>...
> I just re-installed Oracle client and cannot connect to the databases.
> tnsping to the machine works, but to the resident databases does not.
>
> -----
> C:\>tnsping CORPRDB
>
> TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on
> 28-JUN-20
> 02 16:32:29
>
> (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
> -----
>
> The tnsnames.ora is correct (same as before). I suspect it's a problem
> with my Oracle home, even though I only have one. I don't think it's
> getting to the tnsnames.ora.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Salaam

Check your sqlnet.ora file in ORACLE_HOME\network\admin folder. Check value for NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN, Either

  1. Add your domain name specified for above value to your alias name in tnsnames.ora file e.g. if the value specified is YOURDOMAIN.COM then add CORPRDB.YOURDOMAIN.COM to your alias in tnsnames.ora file then try tnsping CORPRDB

OR

2) Comment out NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN in sqlnet.ora file and then use exact alias name including .domain name in your connection string. e.g. If NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN is commented out OR there is no sqlnet.ora file present and your alias is listed as CORPRDB.YOURDOMAIN.COM then use full name when connecting e.g. tnsping CORPRDB.YOURDOMAIN.COM HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Sat Jun 29 2002 - 00:51:58 CDT