Re: Import bug

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:54:47 +0200

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:afidu3$e3id5$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...

> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>

> > I am continuing to read your postings with absolute amazement.
> >
> > You seem to think that your desire to violate Oracle's security model is
> bug.
> >

> No I think that it's reasonable to expect an import to restore the
database
> to them same condition as when the export was taken? Don't you?
>
> > Quotas on tablespaces exist for a reason. They exist to keep people from
> taking
> > space that has not been allocated to them.
> >
> > If the space hasn't been allocated to you ... the reasonable thing to do
> would
> > be to increase your allocation. If you can not then either you are
trying
> to do
> > something not approved by the DBA responsible for the system (my guess)
or
> you
> > believe that the security model should be compromised by people too lazy
> to go
> > in with DBA privileges and enter a single line of SQL at the command
> prompt.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> You missing the point.Under normal database operation I would agree. But a
> full database import is not normal operation. It's used to copy or restore
> database. You would expect that if you do a full export of a database,
drop
> all non-system users, and then import that export file, that you would
have
> the same database you started with. In this case it does not. That is a
flaw
> in the design of the import program. If a DBA is doing a full import it
> should not take into account tablespace quotas.

The latter is just not how it works.
If quotas exist they will be observed. There is only one man in the world for which this isn't reasonable and that is you.

I have though a different remark to make. You have spent a considerable time in this forum insisting imp has bugs. It has been pointed out quite a few times to you, your concerns are unjustified.
During that time you could have submitted an iTar to Metalink several times. I'm not sure why you didn't already do so. If that is because you don't have a support contract, this forum is incapable addressing what you seem to insist on is a 'bug'. You would be best advised to stop posting your concerns here, as this group can't address them anyway.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA