Re: Import bug

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:37:36 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D1C8C6A.8E0DD5FC_at_exesolutions.com...

> I am continuing to read your postings with absolute amazement.
>
> You seem to think that your desire to violate Oracle's security model is a
bug.

No I think that it's reasonable to expect an import to restore the database to them same condition as when the export was taken? Don't you?

> Quotas on tablespaces exist for a reason. They exist to keep people from
taking
> space that has not been allocated to them.
>
> If the space hasn't been allocated to you ... the reasonable thing to do
would
> be to increase your allocation. If you can not then either you are trying
to do
> something not approved by the DBA responsible for the system (my guess) or
you
> believe that the security model should be compromised by people too lazy
to go
> in with DBA privileges and enter a single line of SQL at the command
prompt.

> Daniel Morgan

You missing the point.Under normal database operation I would agree. But a full database import is not normal operation. It's used to copy or restore a database. You would expect that if you do a full export of a database, drop all non-system users, and then import that export file, that you would have the same database you started with. In this case it does not. That is a flaw in the design of the import program. If a DBA is doing a full import it should not take into account tablespace quotas. Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 14:37:36 CDT