Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Joe Salmeri <JoeSalmeri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:00:40 GMT

> You're talking about needing point in time recovery, which must apply to
> the ENTIRE database. Even if you had taken backups of datafile_1 and
> datafile_2 at the same time, you can't simply restore them and move on.
> They would have to be make consistent with the rest of the files in the
> tablespace. You can't roll only a portion of a database back in time.
> It's all or nothing.

I understand that I would not be able to put both datafiles back and just move on, I was trying to simplify my example.

How would you ever use a backup of an individual datafile? How would you ever use backups of individual datafiles that were not taken at the same time?

Since it's all or nothing as you put it (and I AGREE) I can not see a single situation where your individual datafile backups could be used.

> As I said already, a good datafile backup is a good datafile backup.
> There is no dependency between individual datafile backpus within a
> tablespace.

It's a good backup, but how would it ever be used??? Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 17:00:40 CDT