Re: How to use 9i's dbstart on Linux?

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:24:00 +0200

Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote:
> > You found the reason. If you want your instance named test to be started by
> > dbstart, you have to tell it dbstart by changing the /etc/oratab entry to
>
> Thank you. Can I now use dbstart / dbshut to start / stop the db when
> ever I want? I ask this because I think I read from somewhere that one
> should use these commands only at startup.

Yes, but:

  1. dbstart/dbshut start/shutdown every instance on your machine (which has a Y in /etc/oratab).
  2. You should modify dbshut. In its original version it just issues a "shutdown". This may take some years as Oracle waits until all connections are closed by the clients. I'd suggest that you change "shutdown" to "shutdown immediate" or "shutdown transactional".

Regards,

Knut Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 05:24:00 CDT