Re: To dual processor or not?

From: Hartono Nugroho <hanugro_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:21:06 +0700

Well, it is not ideal but sometime we have to live with limited budget. Anyway from what I understand, the database won't be too busy. Just for data entry and running daily, weekly and monthly query. PS. Only about 10 clients will use the database at a time. The rest of the client will be used for doing office works.

I think my frinds just want to know whether it will increase database performance to add a second processor since the system is capable to do it.

BTW, do we have to do anything to enable multiprocessor at database installation or it will be enabled automatically depending on the OS/System?

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:uhj2aj3u138la1_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Running the other stuff on a box with Oracle is also a safe recipe for
> disaster.
> A similar system wouldn't qualify for remote maintenance in my firm.
>
> Regards
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address
>
> "David Lord" <davelord_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is that 512Mb for the whole Server or just for Oracle? That's not much
> for
> > the OS, Oracle and the other things you mention for a user group of 25
> > people, especially if the OS is W2K or XP.
> >
> > In any case you should get the extra processor if this team is anywhere
> near
> > busy all the time, but another 512Mb would be helpful as well. It's not
> > clear what Oracle is going to be doing so it's impossible to give a more
> > solid answer.
> >

> > "Hartono Nugroho" <hanugro_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > It is the only server in the department so it may run DHCP, DNS, file
> > > server, print server for only about 25 clients.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Hartono
> > >
> > > "Priyesh Patel" <priyesh_at_mercurie.co.uk> wrote in message
Oracle