Re: To dual processor or not?

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:12:25 -0400

In article <3d1c37e5$1_3_at_news.teranews.com>,  "Hartono Nugroho" <hanugro_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, it is not ideal but sometime we have to live with limited budget.
> Anyway from what I understand, the database won't be too busy. Just for
> data entry and running daily, weekly and monthly query. PS. Only about 10
> clients will use the database at a time. The rest of the client will be
> used for doing office works.
>
> I think my frinds just want to know whether it will increase database
> performance to add a second processor since the system is capable to do it.

Absolutely. I *always* specify a multiple-CPU box to companies looking for a recommendation.

> BTW, do we have to do anything to enable multiprocessor at database
> installation or it will be enabled automatically depending on the OS/System?

At instance startup, Oracle will detect and set the read-only parameter CPU_COUNT. There are other parameters whose settings are dependent on this value, some of which are user settable (tunable). But the "generic" answer to your question is, "no."

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***