Has anyone heard of a 64KB limit for ONE stored proc in Oracle 81 7

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:39:55 +0100

Morning Niall,

You wrote :

>> I read Norman's original post as saying that (for some godawful and
actually
>> to my mind incomprehensible reason) the data was stored not in a
table field
>> of appropriate type but in the source of a procedure. One procedure
for each
>> document.

Got it in one. I especially agree with the following bit "for some godawful and actually to my mind incomprehensible reason" because it does my head in too.

The app (which is *the* foulest I've ever had the misfortune to see) does indeed create a proc for each document. These procs are created by a load of OPS$ users but are created in the software owners schema - hence they have CREATE ANY any EXECUTE ANY. I didn't design it (actually, I don't think it was designed), and I don't like it. I have said so on numerous times, but I'm stuck with it. At least I don't have to fix it or install it unless all the 'dbas' in the other office have gone away.

>> So whilst it would be true that the owner of the procedure could
>> grant execute to (say) public when they created the
procedure/document it
>> might just be 'easier' to grant create procedure and execute any to
each
>> user.

It would be a lot easier if they designed the bloody thing correctly in the first place. :o)
It started life as a flat file Cobol app, and simply 'moved' to Oracle with one file = one table. Most tables are sadly lacking in primary keys, schema names are hard coded into the procs and the Cobol, etc etc and get this, when running the app, if a spacific function is chosen by the user, it then starts another connection to the database, and does something which instantly deadlocks with their original connection. This happened so often, that they 'fixed' it by putting an option on the app's menu to kill the second session - how's that then !

>> Of course I can't quite believe what I'm writing surely the app
stores the
>> data in tables and *accesses* the data from a single stored
procedure.
>> Surely.

Ummmm ....
I wish !
And it's probably worse - I just don't want to get involved with anything else in the bowels of this app ! And don't call me Shirley :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

I knew I was in trouble even as I typed my original post !

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk