Re: What should I do with my certification?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:32:10 GMT

Nuno Souto wrote:

> "Christopher Boyle" <cboyle_at_hargray.dot.com> wrote in message news:<aepu9s$2nvk$1_at_news3.infoave.net>...
>
> > I received the same notification from oracle
>
> Ohhh, they are "notifying" people now?
>
> > of certification exams and learning offerings. Oracle customers and business
> > partners demand that their Oracle Certified Professionals have hands-on
> > experience with all aspects of the Oracle database.
>
> This reads to me as an open admission from Oracle that OCP
> has been a complete failure in ensuring quality of training and
> return on investment and that customers are not happy with it.
>
> As I and others have been saying for years.
> Thanks for admitting it, Mr. Oracle.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto

All certifications, whether Oracle's, Microsoft's, etc. have a very large weakness. And that weakness is that the certifications do not relate to the job. You can be an expert developer and fail the tests due to questions about obscure facts related to obscure details that no one really uses. Or questions of terminology where you learned a to say init.ora rather than pfile. Are they redo logs or undo logs? The test perhaps cares but I certainly don't.

On the other hand there are lots of people that pass the test and put on a Solaris Server and asked to create a database are totally lost. If you can't find etc/system and edit it with vi you aren't going very far.

We need real certifications and real testing. But it must be done the way it is done in law schools and medical schools. It must (A) be real training and (B) the customers must perceive a difference and demand it.

Otherwise ... it is just a way to finance Larry's run for the America's Cup. And that's not such a bad thing either ... unless of course you are an Oracle developer in New Zealand.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 10:32:10 CDT