Re: What should I do with my certification?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:12:21 +1000

In article <3D1346E6.7B84C42B_at_exesolutions.com>, you said (and I quote):

> We need real certifications and real testing. But it must be done the way it is done in law schools and
> medical schools. It must (A) be real training and (B) the customers must perceive a difference and demand
> it.

Or we could just go back to what has proven way beyond any doubts to produce results? Over and over again.

Professional ethics, a commitment to a career by the employers and specific training.

It worked before, there is no reason why it can't continue to produce results. Come to think of it, it was only when M$ and Netware introduced the "certification" bullshit back in the mid 80's that the above went out the window. The excuse back then was that it was not "cost efficient". As if a "certification" tied into specific releases of software could ever be!

> Otherwise ... it is just a way to finance Larry's run for the America's Cup. And that's not such a bad
> thing either ... unless of course you are an Oracle developer in New Zealand.

Yup. Mind you, before Larry there were quite a few others. He's just tagging along. And the luminaries of this industry that go by the title of IT management are only too happy to oblige...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto