Re: high data block waits in v$waitstat 8.1.7

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2002 06:41:24 -0700

sg <s4v4g3_at_europe.com> wrote in message news:<3D12C3AC.3080500_at_europe.com>...
> Hii
>
> Does anyone know how to diagnostic data block waits in 8i? Currently we
> see around 1000 data block waits increase per day in a 100 users Oracle
> iAS (forms, reports and discoverer) OLTP application/system. I have
> recently increase the freelists of all tables to 4 but it seems it has
> no effect YET since freelists are added to new blocks only.
>
> I know we have to monitor v$session_wait wand watch for p1, p2 and p3
> columns but is there another way or I have to sit there and do select *
> from v$session_wait all the time :?
>
> Does this improve in 9i or we have to use same technique?

SG, what made you think that free lists had anything to do with your data block waits? Was the number of free list waits in v$sysstat high as a percentage of get IO requests?

For that matter more detail on why you think the block waits are a problem might help get you an on-target response to your specific problem.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 08:41:24 CDT