Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 21:22:56 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA70240A30F_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...

> feeling better now the stitches are out?

the golf swing is still sh-tuffed, otherwise it's starting to look good. Thanks.

> Again, agreed. I have one, it has its own server and runs like a dream.
> (At least I never have to do anything to it !)

Pretty good definition of "dream", I reckon! ;-)

> Again, I agree. However, some companies build a system which hard codes
> the schema name into all the PL/SQL, Cobol (yes !) etc etc, so it has to
> be one user one database - we have such software installed and I hate it
> !

Let me guess: someone told them they can't get performance out of Oracle unless they hard-code the schema name into everything they do... Actually, it should be possible even in these conditions to define a "fake" owner schema with synonyms for these hard-coded names, which you then point somewhere else. Have you ever given it some thought?

> It also has a nice little security problem which I reported - in order
> to produce some reports from the db, it builds PL/SQL procs on the fly,
> compiles them and executes them. Guess which privs it needs to allow the
> users to do this CREATE_ANY_PROCEDURE and EXECUTE_ANY_PROCEDURE.

Oh! Poo...

> it. Relying on 'no ordinary user will know how to do that' instead.

Never mind. I had an "architect" in a high security military site not long ago "accepting full responsibility" for a design that allowed anyone with ODBC and Excel to peek and poke at a classified database. Of course, this "accepted responsibility" was NEVER written down: purely verbal. Anyone wonder why I yelled and bitched at the status quo?...

> Still, keeps me working !

Yup, that's the bottom line. ;-)

Cheers
Nuno Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 23:22:56 CDT