Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Andy <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 21:28:44 -0700

Sort of getting back on topic - I too have noticed a decline in the number (and quality) of DBAs in organisations. I am based in Melbourne, Australia, and have been contracting as a DBA for 7 years with 9 total experience as a DBA. I was out of work for 2 months after Christmas. There were literally no jobs for an Oracle DBA in Melbourne, because if there were I'm pretty sure I would have heard. My resume was with every agency listed on the Jobnet website.

I found that they no longer want a DBA. They want a DBA with Seibel, or a DBA with SAP, or a DBA with Financials, or a DBA with SQL server etc. In my opinion they will get someone who hasn't great Oracle DBA skills because these skills have been diluted.

Being an Oracle DBA has been good to me, but I'm now asking "Where next?"

I'm thinking of taking a permanent job with a bit of team leading/project management/business analysis so that I can increase or change my skill set.

I'm very lucky that I started so long ago, but I feel for DBAs with only a few years' experience behind them. Not enough to let them have my job though... Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 23:28:44 CDT