Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:58:40 +0100

Hi Nuno,

feeling better now the stitches are out?

You wrote :

>> Development, I couldn't care less (within reason!).
Agreed. I have about 25 on one single HP box. Not ideal at all. Even worse, all files in one directory (except control & logs obviously). (There go my chances of ever being employed again - oh no, I have an OCP, I'm already doomed !) But these are 'trash' databases and not cared about in the slightest. Performance is acceptable for the developers.

>> Production? Two, and that's it. And I don't care how big the system
is.
Again, agreed. I have one, it has its own server and runs like a dream. (At least I never have to do anything to it !)

>> > Each application has its own database.
>> That is truly deranged. There is no valid argument that can be
sustained
>> nowadays to defend such a strategy.

Again, I agree. However, some companies build a system which hard codes the schema name into all the PL/SQL, Cobol (yes !) etc etc, so it has to be one user one database - we have such software installed and I hate it ! It also has a nice little security problem which I reported - in order to produce some reports from the db, it builds PL/SQL procs on the fly, compiles them and executes them. Guess which privs it needs to allow the users to do this CREATE_ANY_PROCEDURE and EXECUTE_ANY_PROCEDURE.

I demonstrated a method of trashing the entire databse to them using these very privs. They were not all that impressed - still haven't fixed it. Relying on 'no ordinary user will know how to do that' instead. Oh dear !

Still, keeps me working !

regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar