Re: What should I do with my certification?

From: Christopher Boyle <cboyle_at_hargray.dot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:44:22 -0400

I received the same notification from oracle

"The Oracle Certification credential continues to provide leverage to those who have earned it, leading to increased demand for Oracle Certified Professionals among hiring managers. To help meet this demand and increase the value of the credential, Oracle is investing heavily in the betterment of certification exams and learning offerings. Oracle customers and business partners demand that their Oracle Certified Professionals have hands-on experience with all aspects of the Oracle database. To meet our commitment to customers and constituents, three distinct changes are being rolled out with the goal of increasing the level of quality of our certification skill and ability benchmarks:
  a.. Scenario-based testing in all new Oracle Certified Professional track exams (as of January, 2002)
  b.. Instructor-led class requirement for all Oracle9i DBA Certified Professionals (as of June 15, 2002)
  c.. A new hands-on Masters Practicum (available October, 2002) " but I think you are in worse shape than you thought. The upgrade from 8 to 8i is no longer offered AFAIK. You would have to start all over again. The only reason I will do the 9i upgrade is to learn the new features. We don't use it here but I probably won't retire from here either.