Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Charlie Edwards <Charlie3101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 05:54:11 -0700

I'm not a DBA, so can somebody explain what is wrong with having many instances on a machine? What are the performance, robustness and scalability issues?

What would you recommend is the maximum number of instances per machine that you'd want (I realise this depends on machine spec).

Here, we have 3 machines (HP-UX, don't know the spec):

One (development and testing) has at least 17 instances on it (assuming my tnsnames.ora is accurate, which it probably is)

Our two production machines have 6 and 8 instances respectively.

I take it that this is not ideal ;-)

Now I know that management are a bit tight when it comes to cash, so it may be that they're saying we can't have any more machines. So what do you do in this case? Each application has its own database. Is it better to consolidate applications into the same database? Surely this isn't very good if you database crashes.

Thanks,

CE Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 07:54:11 CDT