Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:37:10 -0700

Sean M wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > If any DBA proposed 30 Instances on one host to me, I'd sack him on the
> > spot.
> >
> > This is like publishing a white paper on how many angels can dance on the
> > head of a pin: fascinating no doubt, but utterly pointless, a denial of
> > practical reality, a complete waste of time, and rather missing the point of
> > performance, robustness, scalability and so forth.
>
> It's not entirely academic - as I said in my other post, there are some
> valid justifications for such a configuration (training, support,
> etc.). But generally I agree - this sort of architecture is highly
> specialized, and almost always used for situations where
> performance/robustness/scalability are not the primary concern.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

I disagree. I can not believe there is any justification.

I challenge anyone to give me a rationale whereby 10 instances makes more sense than 2 or 3.

And lets make sure here that we are using the word 'instance' to mean 'instance' and not to mean 'datab ase'. You are talking about 10+ running Oracle executables. 10+ oracle_sids. 10+ * the number of threads in a single instance.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 00:37:10 CDT