Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:06:03 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> If any DBA proposed 30 Instances on one host to me, I'd sack him on the
> spot.
>
> This is like publishing a white paper on how many angels can dance on the
> head of a pin: fascinating no doubt, but utterly pointless, a denial of
> practical reality, a complete waste of time, and rather missing the point of
> performance, robustness, scalability and so forth.

It's not entirely academic - as I said in my other post, there are some valid justifications for such a configuration (training, support, etc.). But generally I agree - this sort of architecture is highly specialized, and almost always used for situations where performance/robustness/scalability are not the primary concern.

Regards,
Sean Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 23:06:03 CDT