Re: Got the darn buffer busy waits under control, at last! (for R. Sanchez)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:26:30 +0100

Nuno,

It's a pity that you've managed to chop out the redo size stats from the first report, as these stats don't really look as if they were really comparable - even though the commit count in the same ballpark.

Personally I would have said that the buffer busy waits were a visual irritant, but not a problem. The changes that MAY (and I stress MAY) have caused the beneficial increase are:

    Reduction in size of multiblock read count     Disabling of fast full scans
    Increase in optimizer_index_caching
    Movement of files in file system
rather than the change in spin_count

A common cause of buffer busy waits is excessive table / index scanning, with one process simply waiting for another process to complete its multiblock read so that it can read the same blocks.

The four changes above would:

    Reduce the probability of table scans

    Eliminate the possibility of index multiblock reads

    Reduce the size of each multblock read by reducing     the number of blocks requested.

    Further reduce the wait time on each multiblock reads     by spreading the load on the particular disc.

The various changes in access paths that reduce the amount of sorting, combined with the increase in sort_area_retained_size to reduce the I/O to the temp files would also have had a beneficial effect on the filesystem overload, again potentially having a side effect on the BBW issue.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars