Re: Newbie: Help me to find some Oracle book

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:04:10 GMT

for tutorial books, Id recommend

SQL Interactive Workbook
and PL/SQL Interactive Workbook.

I forget the authors and who publishes them. But you can can do a search on bestbookbuys.com(best prices) for them or bookpool.com

These are good because you can go to their website and download a sample database with data. The book then gives you assignments that use it. This is far superior for learning than the reference books.

I also recommend going to otn.oracle.com and going to the 9i database documentation(dont bother with the other documentation). Hit books to get a list and read the Concepts document. It will take several reads to digest it all since its so broad.

I do not recommend starting with the 1,000 page tomes or with the reference books which many people recommend. You will learn faster with stuff like this then you can move onto them. Having actual problems to solve is very important when your learning.