XSQL, just wondering

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2002 22:20:13 -0500

I've searched the archives of this group, Tom Kytes site and Tahiti. I can't find much discussion or usage of this Oracle distribution.

I am just starting an upgrade project of an already built messaging architecture where the database layer will now be up to a million URL posts to a particular XSQL page which will query tables based on a single id parameter and write out the reporting results to a final table. Doing it in batch is obviously faster, but the messaging architecture is already in place and, well, if you can believe it, time is short.

So, I need to write the queries and then performance tune the heck out of them, but more importantly, the XSQL pages, but I'm not sure how to measure microseconds effectively. I can certainly run the whole process for, say 10000 ids, change a few things, run the 10000 id process again and compare times. But, I'd rather have a better strategy for understanding whats under the performance covers. I don't know much about how this technology works, but there are config parms I could fuzt with. Maybe, connection caching I could deal with. Parallizing, multi-threading ...

Are there any good Thomas Kytish type books around on this technology? URLS?
Experience?

Thanks.

--
Galen deForest Boyer