Re: Oracle 7.1.6 and SunOS 2.5.1 and greater

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:08:37 +0800

I don't recommend running unsupported software. I am pushing for upgrades in my company --- we are still running 7.3.3 in 24x7 manufacturing environments and the manufacturing guys are quite happy with it. I won't get downtime for the next 6 months.

All I am saying is that it is a fact of live --- there are people who are running "unsupported" software in the real world. This software has been running for 5 or 6 years, has been stress-tested, has recovered from failures and so on. They ask why they should have to test a new release which may well have bugs they don't have in the current version in use. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Try pushing for a database upgrade for 40 24x7 manufacturing databases every 2 years.

Hemant