Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:37:53 +1000

In article <20020611171314.15626.00000527_at_mb-cq.aol.com>, you said (and I quote):
> Well, Nuno, I see that we see eye to eye on several things, especially when it
> comes to some of the stuff you said about those illuminated gurus running the
> show.

No doubt. After all we're just exchanging opinions, no?

> In a way, thats why J2EE is a step forward:
> It gives you a platform, where you can have centralized access to applications.
> Not that you couldn't do that before.

I do dispute the "centralized" bit. That has nothing to do with J2EE and all to do with dumb terminals. I mean: there is nothing new in J2EE's concentration on the dumb terminal. It's not unique to this technology.

But yes, that's what web technology is all about: the good old concept of the dumb terminal attached to intelligent processors.

Problem IMO is: that is NOT where data processing is nowadays.

Over the last 15 years we've seen a major investment in getting very powerful desktop systems out there.

Which have come down in price to the point where they are competitive with dumb terminals. Ie: the biggest component of the price is the user interface hardware (screen, mouse, keyboard). Dumb terminal or desktop is not relevant.

So, we have the hardware on the desktop with enough processing power to put a Cray of 20 years ago to shame.

And what are we doing with it?

Oh yes: emulating dumb terminals.

Ah!: and running screen savers.

Brilliant! We've come far with this J2EE stuff... Do the words "gross misuse of resources" ring a distinct bell?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto