Re: What is 'Trusted Oracle'?

From: Dale Edgar <Dale_at_DataBee.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 07:38:51 +0000 (UTC)

>Trusted Oracle was developed originally for the US Government, and runs/ran
>on specific. certified and tested platforms with a specific Oracle release,
>a specific O/S release, a specific hardware platform, and so forth, and the
>whole business was tested and certified as a unit, for security.
>
>A key part was MLS, that carried security "labels" down to the row level,
>that were sort of hierarchical, kinda.

The O/S's were are also "Trusted". They applyed the security label concept to files. A number of years back I remember working for a month or two on Sequent server running "Trusted Dynix". The unix accounts had assigned security levels between 0 and 255. Files, devices etc that had higher security than you just didn't exist.

What a nightmare to administer - everything took 4 times as long to do and software was always breaking on the permissions. IMHO if you implement anything on a "trusted" level system you had better really, really need the extra security.

Regards
Dale

Need instant schema documentation? Check out the DDL to HTML converter in the free DBATool. http://www.DataBee.com/dt_home.htm Received on Sat Jun 08 2002 - 02:38:51 CDT